Translate

Sunday, March 31, 2013


Shoot, shovel, and shut up

       Where I live, we all work together, as best we can.

            On my 1905 kitchen wall is a reproduction of a Maxwell House Hotel Christmas menu from 1879. One of the items on the menu was leg of Cumberland Mountain Black Bear.

            Now we don't have them, and in my opinion it is probably because we ate them all.

            In the last few years, our government is trying to reintroduce these black bears into the area where I live. Even where I live I have found a foot print of such a bear. So I think they are coming back.

            But I also think local people are covering up the effort, too. That effort is basically protecting themselves, their Families, and their pets. Mostly it means shoot, shovel, and shut up. I suspect even our local law enforcement people are in on the effort, too.

            So how do we recover a species?

            Where I live I would suggest to the savvy leaders that we all work together, as best we can.

            None of this idea  is rocket science.

            And, of course, this is just an opinion.

No comments: