Translate

Thursday, March 28, 2013


Grease traps

       Now most Americans these days know that clean water comes out of the tap, and the things like waste goes out our drains. And we pay a bill once a month. That's it.

            And we don't get cholera, or other such waste water diseases.

            And I thank all the people that make all this happen, like clean drinking water and waste water disposal and treatment. They do a good job, or so I think.

            But once I got introduced to the idea of a grease trap in a rural setting. In this case, it was in South Carolina, and it was clogged, like backing up into the kitchen, like it did not work.

            Turns out this house had two drains, one to the usual septic tank, like where our poop and pee goes, and one to the grease trap to collect all the kitchen waste stuff, like including our cooking grease.

            And the grease trap was clogged up, and I got to pay to fix it. I was upset since it was human caused. And I got to pay, and I did not even live there. I was the Company Comptroller at the time. And as an old Marine, I also investigated it all, to include seeing the whole thing.

            So lessons learned.

            Our waste has to go somewhere. And in a rural setting and using septic tanks and drain fields, they generally depend on bacteria to "digest" the mess and allow it to drain away into the drain field. Somebody set all this up, earlier.
            So sometime we humans can overwhelm our setup.

            Now many use still use septic tank treatments, which generally tend to be full of bacteria and enzymes, which usually turn into bacteria. Also sometimes, there is enough bacteria and other such things in our normal waste to do the same thing.

            But for sure,  use something to help the septic tank, or grease trap, to digest the waste and let it filter out through its own drain field.  Otherwise people like me will bitch at you, at a minimum. Heck I might even get you fired, and your Family sent elsewhere. After all, if I can't afford you, well then, I can't afford you.

            And then there is Plan B, too. Like a lot of these waste greases are like the shortening we pay for at the grocery store, too. You figure it out, I would say.

No comments: