Translate

Saturday, March 30, 2013


The food value of dark meat

       Bottom line. It is pretty healthy for us, especially during hard times.

            This post is prompted by today's cooking a generic out of the can meal called chicken chow mein with asian style vegetables and sauce. Usually I boost it up my own way, but today's experiment is just to go "raw", and see how much I like it. The contents include "dark meat". And I am doing farm type work today, too. Mostly I will cut and split some hard wood for my wood stoves.  And , last, I think "dark meat" is looked down on as a poor man's meat, but as a Marine, I am more interested in the food value, and getting the mission accomplished. Hence this report.

            So what is "dark meat"?  Here's a wiki link on poultry in general:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poultry

            Yep, the term "dark meat" is associated with chicken and turkey.
            Here's one link on the subject, too:  http://chemistry.about.com/od/thanksgivingchemistry/a/Why-Is-There-White-Meat-And-Dark-Meat-Turkey.htm

            And here is one more link among many:  http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/meat/INT-what-meat-color.html

            As to my meal, cooked in a Japanese rice cooker, only time will tell. I just love experimenting when I have the time. But for sure, I am confident "dark meat" is OK and healthy for we humans, especially if times get hard. After all, millions did it before us, and now it is our turn, if times get hard. Said another way, living off the land is a nifty academic idea, but every now and then some of us get to actually do it, including eating our poultry, either raised or hunted. And doing it includes "dark meat" in our meals.

No comments: