Translate

Tuesday, May 21, 2013


The power of mother nature

       I use to live about 75 miles southwest of where the big tornado  hit the southern suburbs of Oklahoma City. So lot's of memories have come back. Where I lived was hit earlier, too. Fortunately, I was not living there at the time.

            I, like many in the USA, am scared of tornadoes.  I have long made my peace with my God and myself.  Also, I prepare as best I can, but accept what may happen. I can't control everything. I don't think that makes me religious, just practical. Mother nature can be pretty powerful.

            Even once I hid under a superhighway overhang in a rural area in Oklahoma hoping it would help keep me alive. Fortunately, the storm missed where I was located. Yet, that is how scared I am of tornadoes, and was at the time, too. Hiding is one thing;  waiting it out and the thoughts one thinks during this time is another thing, especially watching the storm progress towards me.

            Now presently where I live most of the land and dirt is on top of sandstone rock, which means it is difficult and problematical to even try dig a storm shelter. Getting in the bathtub and covering myself up is more logical to me. Hence, the idea of dealing with what I've got, and accepting what happens.

            Last, the power of mother nature presently deals me periodic and powerful thunderstorms, which are scary in their own right.  Since I now live in a rural area in east Tennessee with lots of trees, I also worry about limbs and trees falling on me. But back to the basics;  I have made my peace and now will accept whatever happens, but  also plan ahead as best I can. And other people seem to have it worse these days.

            Mother nature can be tough. But so are we humans!

No comments: