Translate

Monday, May 27, 2013



     Here's one link on the subject:  http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Yogurt-from-Powdered-Milk

          The key point to me is to have some starter, like frozen yogurt. Fortunately I have a local electric plant that might help my cause, like keeping some things frozen. Otherwise, this whole idea may be good for a little while (like a half year or more) if we lose public electricity.

          Plus I use to live in Hawaii back in the old days (to me), and we drank a lot of powdered milk and local water, so I kind of like it. Being in the Marines helped lower my standards as to eating, too. I suspect many Americans these days don't like the taste of powdered milk and water, probably similar to skim milk. But compared to nothing, it is still OK and healthy, to me.

          Now I could do a taste test, but what is OK to me may not be OK to others. So I just focus on the health value as my priority. Forget the taste test idea.  And I could also go the animal route, like raising cows or goats where I live, but have chosen otherwise. Hence this post.

          And one can also use a dried yogurt culture, but I have not tried it so far. Supposedly it is good for one year if stored in a cool dry place, but I intend to freeze it and hope for the best, like even a longer shelf life.

          Last, here is one more link on making your own yogurt culture: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/how-to-make-yogurt

          Why the focus on yogurt? I myself can do without it. But it is also a good healthy food that often helps our good bacteria in our gullets, like our digestive tracts. Said another way, yogurt often helps the Candida albicans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candida_albicans) in our gullets working for our human benefit, to include not getting sick, to include things like getting ulcers in our stomachs, as an example.  Said even another way, this is just a hard times post. In good times we usually go to the doctor and ask him or her to try guess. That's usually a good way to go.

No comments: