Translate

Wednesday, March 13, 2013


Marriage during hard times
       I've made my peace. Boys and girls are going to "get together" during all times, including "if times get hard". And they will pair off, and probably have sex and eventually children.
            I also think most young people in the new world USA will want to get married. Now what that means is another subject.
            So I have asked the question to myself. The question is why is government involved?
            And my short answer is that it, really we, have an interest in promoting marriage. And mostly it is to encourage and support marriage as a way of supporting procreation, like making children, who are the continuing future; just like us at an earlier time. And many times other factors, like uniting Families, are also in the equation. The culture has a big influence.
            But if times get hard, so what happens to marriage? The quick answer is that I don't know. But in the interim, I believe it is to our advantage to promote marriage as best we can. My objective is the future, which usually means kids.  And in so doing, I don't think we need government, though during better times it does make sense; like in STD/VD testing, tax advantages, etc.
            Said another way, boys and girls are going to get together, and most will want to "get married".  And my job as an older person is to support them the best I can, especially given whatever situation I and they should face.
            Last I have an advantage. I have lived in other cultures. And while the marriage practices vary quite a bit, for sure boys and girls will get together, sooner or later.
            And in most "if times get hard" scenarios, access to things like birth control drugs will decline. And probably the old fashioned "social security" will come back.  Old fashioned social security usually means large Families, and the younger types helping take care of the older types. Of course the older people have to work, too.  And often it is helping take care of the younger Families, especially their children.

No comments: