Translate

Saturday, December 22, 2012


Things to be thankful for
       The idea is often reserved for the Thanksgiving time in the USA. If you think about it, about anytime will do. I often use the Christmas time to be thankful for what I do have. And I have a lot for an old man of 64 living in rural east Tennessee, USA. And some old ideas apply, like if you are divorced, probably one person's trash is another person's  gold mine.  Or if times seem hard, and they may be, things probably could be worse. Said another way, our human ingenuity and willingness to suffer sure do help in many situations, and I need to remind myself now and then about what I do have and to be thankful for it.

            So here goes my list...now I am sure your list is probably different.

·       I have food, shelter, and clothing.

·       I have clean water, and a waste water system, all gravity powered.

·       I have yard dogs that help my security, and a way to keep feeding them.

·       I have a lot of land for the future.

·       I have a lot of training and experience from my past times, including the Explorer Scouts, the USMC, and even my time helping run a large Plantation in SC. For example my Scout training even helped save a drowning person's life.

·       I have heat in the cold season.

·       My standards are low.

·       I know how to cook, and the gear to do it with.

·       I can educate my grandchildren if I have to.

·       I have a lot of infrastructure, like a 3-sided shelter, a large barn, and several storage sheds, plus other stuff.

·       I have two cottages.

·       I have several ways to make electricity, and to recharge rechargeable batteries.

·       I have OK medical first aid type training and experience, and the supplies to help me.

·       I have seeds and land to grow future food on.

·       I am knowledgeable enough to be dangerous.

·       I respect people more religious than me, and plan for it.

            Now if this sounds like work, well, it is. What's new?

            And of course there is a down side, too. But this is Christmas time, and a time for me to count my blessings.

No comments: