Translate

Friday, December 14, 2012


I still have water
       Now I mean spring water, delivered from the sky, and hooked up by humans for over a century. Said another way, I have water for drinking, cooking, cleaning, peeing and pooping, etc. And I have a waste water septic tank system to help the whole process, too.
            Now I use an 1879 English designed hydraulic RAM which does all of this. Bottom line, it uses gravity to pump water 850 feet horizontally, and 95 feet vertically to a 5,000 gallon tank, which then gravity feeds to the house where I live. And none of this is rocket science, though it has taken time to assemble all in all, including burying it all to protect it from the cold weather. And it works until today. In fact, I just checked it, too.
            Now one fun human thing, at least to me. The local spring water comes out of the ground at 54F, which is cold to we humans, but still well above freezing. So nothing freezes as long as water keeps moving.  Even in cities, I think many are taught to let your faucets drip, just for the same reason. Here I do the same kind of thing, though cranking off the wood stoves helps, too, like to keep the pipes under the houses from freezing and cracking, which can be another problem to fix. I have two houses to take care of, and the wood stove option always appeals to me.

            So if you have water, you are probably OK, and good on ya!

No comments: