Translate

Sunday, December 16, 2012


Studying all religions
            I went through this process in my freshman college year (circa 1966). And my fraternity was the main sponsor, in spite of the alcohol bingeing stuff we all read about today.
            Well I was also a typical young person being reactive, like if my parents were Christians, then I was supposed to be one, too. That had been my upbringing. 
            So I studied all religions.
            Now what I discovered was an attention gainer to me.
            First is that there are obvious religions, like Christianity and Islam. But some religions had more philosophical aspects, like Confucianism and Buddhism.
            But what I discovered, in my mind, that there was one thing in common. Most used the Golden Rule, like treat people like you want to be treated. That appealed to me. And that idea alone has anchored many of my decisions as I have gone through my life.
            And even in the military I had to wear dog tags for obvious reasons, like dying or even getting a blood transfusion. So I always said Christian on my dog tag, even though I was more Buddhist in my mind. I always figured either way I might go to heaven if I died, and really if I am dead, it really doesn't matter much. Mostly I was thinking of my relatives and what they might do.
            Last, like a politician, I recognize a lot of my fellow humans are more religious than I am, and their faith does help them get through their life. And I support their faith, and respect it. I am not like a human who wants to impose their ideas on others.  Said another way, I am not cut out to be a missionary, including being they Mormon, or even Islamic, or some other variation, including being animistic.
            I still think the Golden Rule works pretty good for most of us, world-wide.  And all this from a study time in my youth that I still follow.

No comments: