Translate

Tuesday, December 11, 2012


Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs
          If you don't know this most famous fable by Aesop, look it up like on the Internet. Here's one line from Wikipedia to help you along:  Killing The Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs is among the best known of Aesop's Fables and use of the phrase has become idiomatic of an unprofitable action motivated by greed.
          So in our past times of plenty, have we common citizens being doing quite well? I think so.
          So in our future, are we common citizens going to do less well? I also think so.
          How to summarize all this is simply one of opinion. And here's my opinion.
          The last century of liberal/progressive thought and governance is collapsing of its' own weight. While I personally agree with most of the social ideas, these ideas can't finance their same good intentions.  And those alive today get to live the consequences, kind of like the game of musical chairs, and we got caught in our time. Now it may even be more simple. My doctor's wife suggested we just have a sorry bunch of leaders these days, and she has a point. I just think she's correct, and it is also just systematic of our sorry state today. Like I said, this is just my opinion.
          And I've spent a lot of my money setting up to help those less fortunate where I live. Their existence will be on the level of my Marine experience, so I know it will work OK.
          And maybe, best case, our leaders are just to trying to do it to too quick. That might be right, but it could be just postponing the agony of not being able to finance itself in the long run. One can argue that such people are not ahead of their time, but simply more naive and idealistic as they collapse the system we have lived in and enjoyed up till now. And we get left holding the bag.
          Now most change is good, but some is also bad, mostly thanks to human intervention.
          I also know too many people who want to abandon the new world USA, mostly for other new world places, like in Brazil. But in the same vein, the new world USA is still the best hope for we humans in our future, in my opinion, again.
          So what are we to do?  My opinion is that we may have to fight for what we still have in the new world USA. And suffer in the meantime, too. Suffering means casualties, and often, by the way.
          And it also means a poorly educated populace will suffer, too. Even my doctor's wife in another story mentioned going two weeks without water in Mexico when they went there to help humans, and they fixed the problem in short order. But she also said the humans there had just accepted their poor state of water as normal, and took no action to improve things. Is that what we want to get to?
          And hopefully we emerge with something like we already have, including the rule of law, infrastructure that works and we maintain, paying taxes, etc. In other words, ideas like warlords, and tribes, and even fascism on  a national scale fades into history; even if emerges in the new world USA. It has in other old world places.
          The new world USA has too many good deals to ignore and quit. Said another way, we have work to do, and this is a good place to do the work. It is kind of like planting the garden and flower beds. Good things will emerge if we want to do the work.
          Now if we don't want to do the work, so be it. Then suffer the consequences. For example, we all like sex, but STD's (sexually transmitted disease) kills people, or renders them sterile. Again, this is just my opinion. And killing the goose the lays the golden eggs is always in the back of my mind. We don't want to do that, in my opinion.

No comments: