Translate

Sunday, December 09, 2012


Hemlocks RAM report 

This morning it was not pumping, and I think I know why. 

It’s pumping now, and I think I know why. 

Now the RAM pumps to a 5,000 gallon tank that gravity feeds where I live, so there is no crisis. In other words, there is plenty of water for another week or two. And now that it is pumping again to the tank, future prospects are pretty good. And all is buried, so it is pretty weather proof. 

Now the basic present design is to use the water twice. First is to use it for water, like cooking, drinking, peeing and pooping, and we are OK there. Second is for local electricity generation, and there we suffer some. In other words it does well for things like battery charging, but industrial uses like keeping freezer compressors working suffers. Of course most of this is spring water powered, so it does have to rain or snow for all to work best.  

Summary time. The Hemlocks has four sandstone springs which still run after 100 years plus that I know of. The highest spring usually runs dry in the winter when the water table drops. The other springs run just fine year round. And so my main helper rigged the system up to use the bottom two springs to keep the RAM running, and the next spring up the water table to help the electric plant running as a priority. Well that failed, so I now have the third spring also feeding the RAM, and all is working just fine. In all cases, the water ultimately goes downhill, so the electric plant gets some benefit, too. Now about 10% of the RAM water does go to the tank, so that does affect the electrical generation some, like less water going downhill. 

Last, I read a local weather man’s report about his forecasts around here. Bottom line, January might get cold with snow. Our present December should be warm for December, although it may snow on Monday. As long as it rains or snows, I am happy.

No comments: