Translate

Sunday, February 03, 2013


Sizing info
            There's little logic to me in how some sizes are determined. In the end, I guess, that is just the way things are, and I better just get in step and remember it all. What follows are two examples of what I mean. One pertains to wire sizing, and one pertains to nail sizes. There are more, like shoe sizes.
            Most wires in the USA and Canada use an AWG standard. American wire gauge (AWG), also known as the Brown & Sharpe wire gauge, is a standardized wire gauge system used since 1857 predominantly in the United States and Canada for the diameters of round, solid, nonferrous, electrically conducting wire. The cross-sectional area of each gauge is an important factor for determining its current-carrying capacity. Bottom line to me, a smaller number means the wire is thicker and can carry more electricity without much loss. So like a 3 AWG wire is thicker and costs more than a 22 AWG wire, which in thinner and costs less.
            The other confounding size pertains to nails. Now regular nails, like for home use, I just use my eye balls and don't really care what the size says. But bigger nails, like used in camping have their own sizing standard, too. I still haven't  figured it out, and suggest just using the eye ball standard. Somewhere in my youth I think I learned something like a 16 penny nail was also good for camping. Now I am not so sure, and in fairness, the standards and measurements are still changing, so what worked in the past may not work today. So use your eye balls, or buy some of the newer plastic stuff now for camping sale.
            And shoe sizes get more interesting, too.

No comments: