Translate

Monday, February 18, 2013


Read the book or watch the movie, or both
       And in which order, like the book or the movie first?
            And if you get your "history" through TV or movies or fiction books, good luck. The old time saying "let the buyer beware" sure applies.
            Even the vaunted Marines generally know that history is what is written down, not what happened.
            And screenwriters for TV and movies tend to fabricate what is presented, usually for making more money, and always defended by some idea like poetic license or dramatic effect. 
            And these days it sure seems worse to me, like books and movies are too often propaganda vice serious efforts at recording what happened.  As always, let the buyer beware. One method to try combat this is to get, like read, more than one independent source if history is one objective.  Of course that takes time and being able to read, and then to read for enjoyment.
            Most of us know that the book is usually different from the movie. The reasons are pretty constant. Generally the book appeals  to one group, and the movie appeals to another group, and each group has its own writer who usually knows what they are getting paid for.
            So what to do?
            Just be yourself, and tell yourself, the buyer, to beware.
            Since I like thinking I know and seek history, I usually seek two independent sources. And all the time I am on my own.
            And I enjoy fiction, too.
            But I know there is a difference between fiction and non-fiction, and that is enough to satisfy my ego and intellect.
            So for me, generally I prefer the book to the movie. Though sometimes they are close.

No comments: