Translate

Sunday, February 17, 2013


Battle of Iwo Jima
       The Battle began on February 19, 1945. It lasted many weeks and caused many casualties.
            Here's a wiki link about the Battle:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Iwo_Jima
            I myself have never been there. I have flown over the island, and have some black sands of Iwo Jima, too. Black sand, just as in many places, is basically pulverized lava.
            While I like the movie "Sands of Iwo Jima" with John Wayne, I would also add the two more recent movies by Clint Eastwood about the battle, which was filmed mostly in Iceland, by the way. There are other movies, too.
            Last my father even flew a Corsair airplane in the battle, and on the way to the Okinawa invasion, which occurred just a little later.
            Those people, on both sides, were some tough hombres!
            So are a lot of us!

No comments: