Translate

Monday, June 30, 2014

Recipe of the Week: Fish Pie, by C.S.

Recipe of the Week: Fish Pie, by C.S.



 

Here is a recipe that my family enjoys. It uses several items from my long-term food storage. We are in Alaska, so some of our food storage may seem strange to you. When I first moved here from the mid-west, I thought the idea of canning salmon was the oddest thing. Now every year we can many pounds of fish, which make tasty meals through the winter. We also have a root cellar that helps us keep produce from the garden fresh through our long winters.

Serves 6 "Really it did"


Ingredients:
 
2 Tbsp Butter or fat
2 Tbsp Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Cup Milk (use 1/4 Cup dry + water to make 1 cup)
2 Cup cooked leftover fish, flaked (I used 2 pint jars of salmon)
3/4 Cup cooked peas (I re-hydrated the dry ones from my garden)
1 Tbsp onion (dry works fine, check the amount with your onions so it is not too strong)
1 Tbsp chopped green pepper (dry again works well, check the substitution amounts for dry versus fresh)
1 Cup mashed potatoes


Directions:

Melt butter in pan.
Add flour and brown.
Add salt and milk.
Heat and stir until creamy.
Add fish flakes, peas, onions and peppers. Heat through.
Turn into a greased baking dish.
Top with potatoes.
Bake in hot oven (400 F) 12 minutes.

Serve with a pile of steamed cabbage.

No comments: