Translate

Friday, September 28, 2012

The value of testing

This is just a story.
Admittedly this is low tech and maybe redneck testing, but that is just what I do these days.
 
In this case, I am testing my solar backup to my water turbine powered backup to my main source of electricity these days...TVA, which is pretty good these days through the local VEC (Volunteer Electric Cooperative).
 
Anyway, in my testing, I started out with an inverter that should have handled my test load, and it failed. I suspect in the test it could not handle the surge startup, which by my design it should have, plus it was advertised to be able to do so. But it failed in this test. Bummer.
So I got a new bigger inverter, and it is working OK, so far, to including the surge startup. My only rub is that the manual calls for 30 amp fuses, but when I pulled them today, they were 40 amp fuses, so I just ordered some more 40 amp fuses, since I get paranoid about replacements for many reasons. Like try find them in the middle of the desert in Saudi Arabia.
Last, mostly I am trying to power my made in America 7.2 cuft freezer to extend the shelf life of my food and seeds. That is my main load.
What surprised me, in this test during a drought time, is that I may choose to use a combination of both water turbine and solar as a backup.
Hence the value of testing.

No comments: