Translate

Sunday, September 16, 2012


It's only what I think
       The idea is about past and future USA actions in places where we are not welcome, most popularly these days in much of the Arab world, but really it could be many more places and groups, and they vary by time. Yep even we have enemies who usually select us.
            Now what I think is a voting issue to me.  This idea includes disagreeing with much of what has gone on in the last two or three decades. And my thoughts are sincere, at least to me.
            No wonder I am not a politician, nor do I even aspire to such offices.  And I think I know how not to over-intellectualize an issue, to include realizing the difference between the short term and long term.
            In a nutshell, I think we should withdraw from places where we are not welcome. Murder of Americans is an obvious example of not being welcome. Generally, it is usually a vicious minority that acts against Americans, but if the majority won't stand up and take care of the vicious minority, then let's withdraw until such time as things get better for Americans, like not be murdered.
            Now if that allows for this minority to form a bastion for such events as the 9/11/01 attacks in the USA to take place, then that is time for us to attack, like we did in Afghanistan. And in my mind we did it smart, like with CIA types with suitcases full of cash to buy off people, and Special Forces types to give the effort a military edge (and being ruthless if necessary when applying the military option).
            Remember, at least I think I remember correctly, that the worlds' longest lasting empire was not Rome (around 600 years), but Byzantium ( around 1,000 years).  Now Byzantium did it smart, like with a blend of Western ideas (often military options) and Eastern ideas (often slyness and money options).  By the way, often the money option is often thriftier than the military option.
            Now just how we allowed the missions in Afghanistan and Iraq to morph into nation building is another whole story and history. In other words, it did not have to happen that way.
            And I recognize that peoples have long memories. Just look at the Civil War in the USA. So leaving a place may be for a long time, depending on where, of course. And how the majority acts also is a big factor, and will vary a lot, I suspect.
            But if we are not welcome, let's get out quickly (like with 6 months or so) and let that nation do its own nation building, or succumb to other forces.
            Lord knows we have enough nation building options and needs in the USA, and I even would direct my charity in that direction, rather than some foreign country. And even I can be flexible, like the Marshall Plan made sense at the time as I read.  But even that was a voter issue, in the end, and also as I read.
            So, that is just what my line of thought thinking is today, and has been quite a while, like decades.  My thoughts are not just some knee jerk reaction to recent events in many of the Arab countries.
            And it is voter issue, to me.

No comments: