Translate

Monday, September 24, 2012


Aren't we humans "funny"?
       After all we have so much in common, like the need for food, shelter, and clothing, no matter where we live. And there seems to be a universal drive for Families, like sex and reproduction works at a minimum to provide a future for where we live, plus boys and girls generally like each other. There is something about being committed to another that also appeals to all humans, pretty much. We all know there are exceptions, but the amount of Families says it all, at least to me.
            And most humans, I think, do believe in government at all levels, especially if it helps them in their perception of the benefits. When that doesn't happen then things like revolts and revolutions do happen.
            Of course some governments are better than others. The difference is often do to the types of governments, which vary anywhere from republics and democracies to dictatorships, with every method in between like tribal, feudal,  and even nation-states.
            Now as a Marine, I did generally liked the various types of foods that other cultures had come up with. Now some did take a dose of alcohol to get falsely brave (speaking for myself), like eating Balut in the Philippines,  or even sashimi in Japan, cold chopped lamb intestines in Turkey, even chitlins in Tennessee, or even most variations of borscht in eastern Europe and Russia (which I did sober) ; and of course I did not die from eating any of it. In fact, it was often quite good. I also even liked eating unleavened bread as a wrap with my fingers to eat other things.  My point, or idea, is that all humans like eating, and the variations are pretty neat. My other idea is that we humans tend to like the food from our own culture, which is fine with me. And lord knows, what we eat and like to eat does vary all over the place.
            This idea even applies to the grains we eat, like wheat, soybeans, and corn in the USA, rice in a lot of the world, and even grains like barley and oats also in a lot of the world, too. And sorry, I should not leave out other grain products, like from taro (which I have never had). Even the grain "hops" is grown to soften the taste of beer in many cultures. Actually (in my mind), it is getting more difficult to assign a grain preference to any one culture...we humans like it all, pretty much. That includes the benefits, to incude the available spices we also use.

            So with so much in common, why we are we different, too; to include fighting and dying.
            The quick answer is that I do not know why, other than it does happen. Now I do have my opinions.
            The classical thoughts still apply. Usually it some simple combination of cultural differences and ways of thinking; or simply leaders simply misjudging others;  and all too often the ego of some regional dictator(s) starting it all; and it just expands to more than a region.
            And we all know it does happen, like or not. Or at least it has so far in human history.
            Even where I live in east Tennessee these days, any foreign invader would be a cause for fighting, including protecting our females, who may or may not want to go along. That is another story.
            Now what are we to do, since all this does affect us, too.
            Well, I have my own thoughts and beliefs, and I am confident you do, too.
            The sooner we can get to eating common food (usually grains), probably the better, I think.  I suspect in the interim, there will be much human caused friction, which I am both having to accept, and also disgusted with, especially if it means war and fighting and dying, which may happen. After all I even ate chopped cold fish in Sweden, presented Smörgåsbord style.  

At least that's my vote today, though the process result is probably a couple of centuries away.

No comments: