Translate

Thursday, September 27, 2012


Textured vegetable protein (TVP)
       To me it is fake meat, usually made from soybeans, sometimes from cotton seed, wheat, and oats. The food value is pretty good, I think.
            Obviously one should read the label on any food you get as to food content, and our governments pretty much makes that easy to do for those so inclined...
            Finally I found a soy product I like, since I mix it with others things I also like; like chicken broth, beef broth, onions, green peppers, etc. And I am no vegan; rather I am just trying to be thrifty. I also do enjoy pork products, a lot.
            Others may mix it with things like chili, spaghetti, burritos, etc., I read.      
            Now I think TVG stuff has been around a while...I just didn't know it. I think fake bacon bits are made from it; I suspect things like the "helper" products may have some in it; and I see many products now being sold as having or not having TVP in it. And campers are often big in to using it, since it is usually sold dry, and can be rehydrated later.
            And I have a daughter with four girls who eat it, and that they like it was reported to me, though it can be tough initially on some stomachs was also reported.
            As for me, I am pretty much gassy most of the time, so I have not seen any obvious effect on my gullet.
            Anyway, when I "learn" something "new" to me, I always enjoy sharing it with others.
 

No comments: