Translate

Thursday, September 06, 2012


Morale is a big deal

            I recently ordered some more beef and chicken broth to make myself feel better about helping those who may help defend our compound in all hours, including the wee hours, and have an expectation of them eventually being warm and hydrated with broth or better when they return. Heck it might even be just taking their pack off and resting and cooling off in the warm season.

            In all cases, morale is a big deal, at least to me.

            What drove my thinking was my experience. Believe or not, the coldest I have been, in my mind, was laying on frozen ground in Virginia for an hour and a half around 0230 and it was 17 F outside, and this was just training in setting in a "L" shaped ambush.  And another buddy shared a story of trying to be macho by chewing tobacco, falling in a Virginia creek full of ice, swallowing his tobacco, and then barfing it all up to add to his misery. And I have been to Korea, too, in the winter, and that was pretty cold, too.

            So morale is a big deal, and any expectation of future enhanced quality of life to those out in the "bush" is a big deal.

            Like the old ad said, nobody is gonna promise you a rose garden.

            But said another way, if you can enhance the morale of others around you, no matter where you live and what the circumstances, that is a big deal.

No comments: