Translate

Friday, September 07, 2012


Hedging my bets
      First the pro. By pro I mean getting things ahead of time.  Now I could be just a worry wart, but then I am also thinking of things like "hard times", inflation (yep I've been through it in the past and it wasn't a fun time), or the government just seizing my assets and even putting me in jail if I object. Heck we could even have a civil war after having watched some of the last two national USA political conventions.
            And inflation, at its practical level, means spending more for the same things in the near future, without your income going up. Said another way, my and your quality of life would decline in a noticeable way.
            And of course, I can use some of these assets for barter whether things work out for the best, or the worst. After all, I can't eat paper money or gold.
            Now the con in hedging my bets. Mostly I mean postponing getting things as unnecessary if things remain mostly the same, like why even get it if public electricity still runs reliably?  Another example is how much solar back up do I want for my water turbine electric plant, which is my primary source of alternative electricity.
            And can I even defend what I even have in some kind of worst case scenario? In this case, perhaps the hordes, desperate as they may be, may strip me and my Family and friends blind, and we all then go down to death.
            And of course there are the psychological factors.  Like am I now crazy, paranoid beyond normal, or just delusional and becoming too status quo oriented?  Well, I think about these things, too. Heck, I even monitor solar weather in fear of some kind of the 1859 Carrington Event happening again.
            And last, I think we USA people have been dumbing down (by education) our people who are often now voters and leaders and news reporters.  So I worry that they may make dumb decisions (or provide poor reports), which can be as simple as maintaining all the wonderful infrastructure things we have today (think road and bridge maintenance as an example), up to making circumstances as best they can given whatever circumstances they are presented or just reporting the facts, vice propoganda. Often the more ignorant tend to react vice act, too, which is a bad situation.
            So I've decided, right now these days, to hedge my bets, and try muddle through as best I can, and hope for the best. And of course, share my thoughts through this blog.

No comments: