Translate

Tuesday, September 11, 2012


Learning a new language
       In my case it is about a solar panel powered backup to my primary water powered electric plant.
            And I have already been through the process of reducing my intents if it comes to that.
            I live at 36 degrees north latitude in east Tennessee, which means this is not that good a solar place. Plus there are a lot of tall forest trees, and the sun does move during the day, which makes chasing the sun difficult when it also includes moving heavy batteries (and the cables and losses would be too long in the chasing scenario). I have chosen not to do so. After all indirect light makes electricity, too, in my back up scheme.
            As always these days, there is no book on the subject, and one usually just does their best, hooks it all up (including the intended loads), and sees what happens. Yep, I've got various gear from different companies.
            And I have gotten to an age where I actually read the directions.  What's the old joke...if all else fails, read the directions.
            And lord knows, this industry has its own language for me to learn about, interpret if you will, since knowing what I am doing, or at least trying to do, does help. I don't want to do harm to myself from ignorance, after all.
            Last, the new terms I have had to learn are like saying PV (photovoltaic) vice solar panel.  And then there are at least three kinds of solar panels these days, all with different efficiencies, generally around 16%. Plus one usually needs a solar controller (like MRRP or PWM), and on and on.
            Like the title to this post says, I am having to learn a new language, and it is not a fun experience. But, and in fairness, I want to do it as well as I can, mostly to save money, but also just to be efficient. Thank goodness I went to an engineering school.
            And all this just for a backup. Now I will write it all up for my relatives, just to help their transition, if this backup situation even comes to pass.
            Let it rain.

No comments: