Translate

Wednesday, June 06, 2012


National debt (western style)

       It still bothers me that so many people assume we can borrow money to our heart's content. And these people do have good reason to think so.

            My simple logic is those with money will loan their money if they think they can make money on the loan.  I call it a trust and faith idea. That is conventional wisdom, and it has been working for decades.  And then there are also the elected government methods to band aid the whole borrowing thing, which seems to be helping to, especially if they can print money, as in wealth.

            And all I want to do is try make my own Family happy, and they be provided a chance to succeed in their life. If they fail, then that is their problem.

            It especially disturbs me that my USA grandchildren may not be able to buy a home in their lifetime because they have to work just to pay the interest payments our present generation is imposing,  like that is a big chunk of their change and life's problems.  Now, even I know what I would do in their circumstances...default. Now imagine the problems that will come out of that friction. Right now that is probably coming.

            Now one can suggest that one debt problem is best traded off for another later problem; but one can also say it is time to pay the piper. I am from that school of thought, the pay the piper school of thought. And paying the piper will be a difficult time full of friction, but sooner or later, it is going to happen. I still prefer to be a citizen, rather than a serf, and in that vein, go forward.

            Now one alternative is to stretch out our "payments" over time. Like the last century of western progressive idealism is a good idea, but maybe we need to pay for it over time better than what we have been doing? Now that is a voter decision, and there are many other alternatives, too. And if the voters choose a way that fails, then the other alternatives will take hold, like the investors have a say, too.

In the end, I still think we humans are in charge, where ever we live.

No comments: