Translate

Monday, June 18, 2012


Flour

       As one who is  becoming increasingly worried about the possibility of going hungry in the new world USA, I am amazed as to how important flour, and breads made from it, are important to our being fed "habits and routines".

            Now there are many variations about "breads", to include "pasta" in the new world USA. But my bottom line, is that breads are also important to living, much like meat is, too. The local game is looking better than ever, if times get hard. Even chipmunks can make good snacks!

            What prompted this post is that today I am using a high tech Japanese rice cooker to make Italian meatball alfredo, with some rice flour pasta noodles thrown in, plus some cilantro (Mediterranean and Latin America derived), and chopped American onions, too.  What a country is the new world USA.

            Half the world eats rice, so most Americans who have grown up on wheat, are only half clued in. And there are other variations , like corn and barley. Even beer drinkers like mixing in other grains to ameliorate the taste, like using hops (a grain).

            So is taste, and human enjoyment  from eating things that taste good, a bigger deal than just getting good sustenance where you live, and eat whatever grain you may consume, again, if times get hard. Add in those that consume alcohol, too.

            Now being a Marine, I rehearse about everything. After all, my parents (and my schools)  did not teach me everything, and books only help so much, too.

            My vote right now is for sustenance, vice taste, but that is just my opinion and education.  Even the local chipmunks can make nice snacks, though the local flour that comes from where I live always appeals to me, even if times get hard.

No comments: