Translate

Monday, June 11, 2012


Bungee cords

       I have an advantage of growing up in America before bungee cords became normal, like we did not have them, or at least I never had them. I am age 64 to put things in perspective.

            The first time I met a bungee cord was thanks to my father in 1959, who had returned from a military tour in Japan, and brought back both Japanese bikes, and bungee cords.  In my case, I was a newspaper boy at MCAS El Toro (now gone),  and both the bikes and the bungee cords really helped me be a newspaper boy in this part of southern California at the time. Anyway I was impressed with bungee cords, especially in how they helped me as a newspaper boy, like safely tote large stacks of newspapers out to my  Marine customers in the barracks they lived in.

            Now, having had some bungee cords delivered to me today,  I think most Americans in our culture think bungee cords have been around forever.

            Well, my report is that that is just not so.

            So our culture is not always what we know about, at least to me. Yep, I like bungee cords benefits.

No comments: