Translate

Wednesday, June 20, 2012


Forrest Gump type stuff

       Most of us can reminisce.  And so can I, and you, too.

            I have seen a lot of change in my time, born in 1948, but when I think back to my grandparents, I think they saw even more change in their time.  Think going from horse and buggy to driving and flying and later going to the moon. Add in public electricity, and good clean water and waste water  systems,  human political turmoil, like wars, and I am impressed about their change and reminisces.

            Either way, it is kind of fun to tell stories to younger generations about your experiences in your lifetime.   And so can I, and you.

            I can remember...

                                    The Cuban missile crisis, and pretty much kissing my tail goodbye. I lived about a mile from the Pentagon at the time.

                                    LBJ saying he won't run for President in 1968, and thinking  RFK was gonna be the next President, though he was later assassinated.

                                    MLK was also assassinated, and I also went jogging in Atlanta, just to make a point. I was going to GaTech at the time. The campus cops warned me about my bad judgment.

                                    The bomb shelter craze in the late 1950's.

                                    The first time I was shot at, like trying to kill me. It was in the Philippines, by the way, not Vietnam. That got my attention, like saying to the battery Gunny, that "SOB" is trying to kill me. Nothing like the crack of rifle shot going by your head to get your attention.

                                    One of my favorite movies is "Jeremiah Johnson", circa 1974. At the time I saw it, I was on an LST on the way to rescue Americans in Cambodia.  Later the State Department pulled us back, and other Americans  did the deed, later. Anyway, the movie made me homesick, even if I was gonna die in the next few days.

                        Girls did not "put out" as much as these days. To get pregnant out of wedlock was terrible, like a shame. Even the boys knew this, too, and honored the cultural standards at the time. Even though we all had "sex", at least it was in the way at the time. Even I used the baseball system to brag to my male fraternity brothers.

                        Children from marriage was a big deal, to me then, and now.

                        Now my own stories could go on forever.

                        I bet your stories can also add to your kids and grandkids' education.  Now that's an advantage old people have.

                        Even you can be a Forest Gump type, in your own way and where you live,  of course. Yep, you too have knowledge worth sharing with younger types, mostly in the stories you share, and in your own way.

No comments: