Translate

Sunday, October 14, 2012


The nature of the word lie
       I watched on TV this Sunday morning when one Senator from Tennessee, Bob Corker,  suggested he was not comfortable using that word. He suggested "not telling the truth" was OK to him, but using the word lie was not his style.
            After all, it is both embarrassing and demeaning to me to imagine a person or an organization lying, especially if it is an imagined way to rule.  Said another way, it is just hard to imagine anyone or group to not be shamed for even thinking this way.
            And eventually the truth always comes out, anyway.  Doesn't everyone know that?
            Now I tried to come up with alternative explanations, at least in my mind. Perhaps it is just gross ignorance, incompetence, or a belief in "spin" and avoidance and postponement long enough until the discussion tones down or dies off. Perhaps it is one of unintended consequences of affirmative action, where people are promoted beyond their abilities. Perhaps...perhaps.  Who knows?
            But people are dead, and that many more will die is probably coming. What a shame. People and cultures do have long memories. Even where I live the Civil War is still honored in word and deed.
            What I do know is if trust, faith, and confidence are violated, and if one loses that, like to one's boss, or even the voters, then the ability to rule is severely constrained, maybe even ruined. That applies to running a Family, too.
            So it is hard to imagine, really it is embarrassing to me, to think there are still people who choose to lie to get their way.  Obviously, it does happen, so maybe I just need to get real.
            And actually, in my mind, I think I do get real. Like I am confident a third party, really a movement, is well underway, and will assert itself by 2020, may even 2016. And it will be based on ideas, not an individual.
            Yep, the times they are a changing!  And telling the facts, as kindly as one can,  still counts!

No comments: