Translate

Saturday, October 13, 2012


Feeding your Family in hard times
       Now this post is just about food, and hard times, like the usual way you get food for yourself and your Family may be interrupted.  For example, all these wonderful foods we get in the USA that often come via container ships that run on oil in status quo prices may slow down, or end. Who knows?
            And I do buy the idea that we humans can go about 30 days without food, but only about 3 days without water. So no crisis exists right now.
            And a basic management idea I also buy, like if everything is a priority, then nothing is a priority. Hence having clean water to drink, wash, and cook with it is a high priority to me.  So is waste water treatment, like I don't want to get cholera from using dirty water. Hence my pee and poop goes away from where I live by gravity.  Believe it or not, and in the end, having food comes in as a lower priority, to me.
            One last lead in.  Having been in the Marines, I know what it is like to be cold, wet, and hungry, and it was not an enjoyable experience, but obviously I did survive to publish this post. So food is a big deal, especially if you want to go forward, like sustain our human future, and your Family's future.
            So on that idea, consider for you and your Family what are the best foods to get through hard times.
            Now for me, foods that help keep disease down are a big deal, and I am kind of a snake oil kind of guy.  Hence I believe in using spices, and even onions and garlic and multi-vitamins with minerals  to let our bodies fight  and often kill diseases before it gets worse. Even the old wives tale about using zinc I buy, like I take it if I think am coming down with the flu. Even more modern things, like Zicam, use this idea, though it is more zinc ion based.
            Last, and to put myself on report, I finally thought about what is important to me. Hence I got excited when FedEx brought me some onion seeds today, and I expect my planting garlic to arrive later via USPS, all things I ordered recently.
            Now most of our potatoes and garlic have been "treated", so be careful in what you get for your Family. Generally the treatment is to tamp down reproduction.
            Now I did add some canned fruit stuff, and even some canned ham stuff, too, both through UPS.  And of course, I have to eat it in the end, one way or the other. 
            And these days many worry about sodium content, but I do remember when I went through boot camp, we had to take salt pills morning and evening. And of course most of us had a "white" collar of salt around our training things, like T shirts, and uniform collars (all from sweat I assume).  Hence we do need some salt to live...just how much depends, like too much is bad for our health (like you can't drink ocean water because it will kill you in the end). So I do keep these ideas in mind, too.
            Even ideas like slicing SPAM (very salty I read) thin enough to make bacon out of it is not a bad idea about using moderation. Like I suggested, we do need salt if we are living in a high exercise way, like boot camp, or if times get hard (like gardening), and we have to grow our own food.
            And last on this subject, I think of myself as a poor gardener, or even farmer; but I will do it if I need to, though I won't enjoy it. I don't have a "green thumb". But feeding  my Family and friends is a big deal to me.
            And in that regards, and doing my usual yard mowing, I have figured out there are good places in my near yard that I can use, if I need to (like the plants like it). My basic yard is around 4 to 5 acres, by the way, but the more local garden area, and more defensible area, is both smaller and appears to a pretty good place to grow food.
            Hope does spring eternal.

No comments: