Translate

Sunday, October 07, 2012


Right out in the open, like in full view
            There is much going on around us, and periodically I make myself think about it. An example comes from an old joke line about losing control of the situation.  Of course one has to have control of the situation in order to lose it...the underlying basis of the statement.  So perhaps we don't have control of the situation all of the time. Or maybe we had it, and lost it, probably a little bit at a time. It usually depends on the situation.
            Our wonderful way of life and governing ourselves does depend on an educated electorate. Perhaps we have been denigrating that educating of the electorate, our kids who will vote and lead in the future.  Obvious examples, to me, are many, but I can use another line that always appealed to me to summarize them all.  That line is that there are no poor Marines, only poor leaders. So what happens if we have generations of leaders who are poorly educated?  Can we maintain all this wonderful infrastructure we've built, safely manufacture all these wonderful medicines we make, or even have morals and the ideas of shame.  Is lying as way to rule the face of the near future?
            These are the kinds of questions I ask myself when even deciding how to vote and who to best represent me; or otherwise trying to influence what is going on around me.
            Now another old line comes to mind.  The only two things in life that are certain are death and taxes. And taxes to me means governments, which is a good way to be ruled I think. And an educated electorate is essential to being successful, both to those ruled, and those ruling. And I don't assume an educational degree equals education, vice the alternatives like propaganda or soft subject training that leaves too many people frustratingly short of practical skills or moral standards.
            What seems a shame is that a lot of this is right out in the open, like in full view, but too many may not see it, or know what to do if they do see it.
            Well, here is an idea.  Vote. One has to start somewhere.

No comments: