Translate

Saturday, August 11, 2012


On the nature of we humans
       What got my attention was an email this morning.  It was by a fellow who is in his 20's. Here it is:
                   I am bringing back true hippietism. Screw the modern hippie/hipster and the modern liberal. Screw the conservative and the ones that want to regualte (his mispelling)  your bedroom. Let the individual be the individual. This is not communism, this is toleration.
            Now I enjoy the company of this single friend, who I also think of as an idealistic drifter, and somewhat lazy to boot. He has expressed that he should be admired for just going to work. But he is also idealistically motivated, which appeals to me.
            And as luck would have it, there is one of two big USA hippy communes less than 100 miles from here in Tennessee (the other I think is in California). So if he even asks my opinion, I will suggest he move down there, where he will probably get a good dose of reality about we humans, including his need to work.  It's August now, so the winter is coming, and let's see how being cold and hungry affects him and his idealism. In my case, thanks to the USMC, I have been cold and hungry, and I did not enjoy the experience.
            Now my admiration for his idealism is balanced by my own questioning about what is "true hippieism"?  After all, I experienced it firsthand (my experience), while all he has done is read about it, and feel it in his heart and gut, and maybe his brain.
            That's why this post is entitled about human nature. In my case, I am torn both ways.
            After all, any unsolicited advice from me as a friend will most likely be blown off.  That's what I would do. In the same vein, that's what a parent is supposed to do, like provide unsolicited advice or requirements to their children, like a curfew time.  That idea is about human nature, too. And even the Amish lifestyle is starting to appeal to me, too.
            And on USA human culture, because I am a Marine I am supposed to be some kind of neo-reactionary, conservative pig, which I have to accept reluctantly, since it is not correct about me.
            Last, and still on the idea of human nature, is my question about what does he think is "true".  My guess is it is his sincere opinion, but I don't really know for sure, and have asked about this with no response so far.

No comments: