Translate

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Trail of Tears


Trail of Tears

       A decent link on the subject can be found at:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

            Make up your own mind about the subject.

            I, fortunately, have lived on both ends of the Trail of Tears and have mixed feelings.

            Modern terms, like genocide, come to my mind.

            Where I live in east Tennessee use to be called the Wild West. So times were different back then.

            I still appreciate being able to going into the present wild lands where I live in 2013, and have no expectations of being captured, tortured, and killed by the local Indians living in the local forest.

            Even circa 1815, many of the local bad bandits were of European persuasion. I live near an original Federal Highway, and the Treaty of Holstein took decades to become official, like to where the local Indians left our ancestors alone as they transited this highway, locally often called the Walton Road, or the Avery Trace.

            Bottom line, it was a tough time back then, kind of like it is today, just in another way.

No comments: