Translate

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Another kind of budget


Another kind of budget

       In my case, it is the budget about how much solar energy I can generate with my present solar setup, which as set me back about $1,500.

            Now I presently live in east Tennessee on the Cumberland Plateau, and this is not too swift a place for solar energy, in my GaTech opinion.

            Presently I still enjoy using public electricity using TVA, and that works quite well these days, even if I have to pay the monthly electric bill. My fall back is using local water powered micro turbo electricity, and that setup set me back about $20K. Now that setup requires some moving parts, like bearings, so I decided to have a more limited backup to that setup. And that is my solar setup.

            So recently I added more batteries to my solar setup, and right now even my commercial freezer is running off of this setup.  Now how long it works before I go back to TVA power is part of my present experiment. At least the weather is cloudy, which helps this experiment so far. My present guess is 36 to 48 hours before I have to go back to TVA electric power.

            To summarize, I do enjoy getting my energy from all sources, mostly wood cutting around here. But any solar help is enjoyed, also.  After all, if the solar setup I have these days doesn't work 24/7/365 for my commercial freezer, at least it will cut my monthly electric bill down some.

            After all, the mission is to survive, as best we can.

No comments: