Translate

Sunday, November 25, 2012


Wood stove basics
       First a quick background. I have three wood stoves over two cottages, two wood stoves which have bimetal spring thermostatic valves, and the other is more primitive, though it does have a primitive screw type thermostat, too. In the case of the primitive one, one must usually get up during the night to restock this stove with wood, which I do have plenty of thanks to where I live. The other two wood stoves will generally burn all night if stocked up before one goes to bed.
            Also most wood stoves are sold as "wood only". The alternative where I live is coal. Now generally to heat or cook with coal, one has to have oxygen coming up underneath it to make the coal burn. Now here locally, I have such a grate to put in a wood stove, and a nearby good quality anthracite coal seam to boot. Now right now this is theory only, but I think I am on to something which I plan on using, like burning coal in a wood stove for heat and cooking. In other words, I have not rehearsed it, yet.
            Now three more things one should know come to mind.
            First is that wood stoves work best when working on top of a bed of coals. Since most wood stoves come with ashes removal pans, one just has to figure it out best for your stove, kind of like getting married and figuring out your spouse. Now for me, I make sure I have a bed of coals which does fill up the underlying pan. And I do have to dump excess ashes, every so often. Now where to dump the ashes is a personal decision.
            Second is to expect burn off and even smoke on your first use of a new wood stove.  Mostly it is just the new metal coatings used to make the stove burning off. Generally, most humans don't like the smell, and even your smoke alarm may go off. So your choices are simple. Just do it all outside, or open your windows.  All should be OK after that first burning.
            Third, is that one can usually cook and bake on top the wood stove. For example heating broth for those out in the outside elements can be a big deal for these same people returning from their patrols that protect our food and our homes. And you can use the wood stove for that purpose.

No comments: