Translate

Saturday, November 03, 2012


Empathy or sympathy?
       I had to look these words up, since they both are close to what I am thinking about the humans suffering through the results of  the latest superstorm to hit a region of the USA. What I read is terrible news, but also I admire the initiative of those suffering to survive, including our kids, though the adults might not say it right now.  No wonder we humans are still dominating the earth.
            As I write this it is even cold in my house, but at least above freezing so my pipes don't freeze. But I am still wearing long johns in several layers (with cotton shells) like many people do routinely during the cold season where they live. After all, it is the fall, with the winter coming on. And now this calamity in a USA region is thrown on top of that.
            So do I have empathy or sympathy for those just learning simple things like being cold and hungry?  The reports I read suggest many fellow citizens are astounded when the public water goes off, or you can't easily get food, or the availably of gas for energy messes up one's plans. Good on all the fellow Americans who have made this happen so far.  Or how about trying to be clean with clean cold water, if you can even get it. After all, preventive health is a big deal.  Or how about sex with a smelly person, which of course happens, since we are all here.
            Anyway, been there, done that. And I did not like it, but I did survive. And so can you.
            Last, I still I am not sure whether I feel empathy or sympathy.
            After all, these are tough times for many USA people.

No comments: