Translate

Monday, November 05, 2012


Lessons learned so far
       First this interim post is just about computer stuff.
            Second is that I have a computer hard drive failing, but have successfully used the conventional repair techniques to postpone the death. After all, all hard drives die eventually, as do we people, too. So anyway I have time to think about things that are to my advantage. Though I do think about it like a hang man's noose, eventually and unexpectedly the hard drive will fail, and it has already given me a hint that death is on the way.
            Third is that I am fairly faithful about backing up computer things that are important to me. Now that I have to actually invoke all of my previous backup things, of course I am now questioning just how well I did. My report card to myself so far is C +. Of course it is so much easier to give advice than to live it. That has been my disappointment with myself in too many ways.
            First the good news, and then the bad news.
            For the good news, I think I have backed up and stored most of the things important to me and my Family. Though with time there are things that surprise me, like favorite places I enjoy visiting on the internet, or email and calendar things which I like over the traditional mail and paper calendars, though I do use both. I have done a poor job in that respect, though if the hard drive keeps working for a while, I can take care of that, like correct my past errors.
            For the bad news, I still keep recent important things (backed up)  to me in one house, which of course can burn down unexpectantly. Now I do keep a back up copy (older) stored elsewhere, but that is months old. And my now old Company CPA even kept backup data in a separate building for the same reasoning. That's how important all this data was to him.
            To conclude for this interim report, do keep backup copies of what is important to you, as best you can.
            To many it is old time Family pictures, which I recommend should be scanned and stored somewhere else, as well as your home of course.

No comments: