Translate

Sunday, November 11, 2012


Golden Rule
       This post focuses on the Golden Rule, and how you may apply it to your relatives if and when times get hard. The idea is to think about things ahead of time, so if it comes to pass where you live, you may have a better idea of how you and your Family may act or react. Said another way, this is a usual way to think things out ahead of time. Of course you may be the relative who is "visiting", vice the relative who is "hosting". Either way, the idea is worth thinking about ahead of time. It's often just a hour or two of your time, mostly when discussing it with others important to you.
            Now the Golden Rule is basically "treating people like you want to be treated", or so it was taught to me by my parents.
            Now this post does not focus on friends, though that is worth thinking about, too. Friends, and non-friends, showing up on my doorstep is a probable thing where I live and if times get hard.
            Let me use myself as an example.
            Some of my relatives may vote early with their feet and come here to my doorstep. Others may try move later, and get through the probable roadblocks and checkpoints, often for shakedown purposes. Most won't make it.
            The popular story in the USA these days is of young people moving back in with their parents, often with a spouse, too. Now we all love our kids, and when they "fly the nest", that is often a good time to appreciate this event if you are a parent.
            My dilemma is usual when thinking ahead, like most people have this dilemma if they choose to think ahead. Basically, I like some relatives better than others. And even some relatives have been mean to me during better times. Just how do I treat them and their descendents during hard times when they need my help? Especially this question applies if they contributed to their present problems?  Even some may be just plain lazy?
            So in my process of thinking, I think I know what I will do if and when I am presented with the problem. Yep, I have thought about this dilemma ahead of time.
            I think of myself as a nice guy, but I can be hard if I need to be, too. This includes having gone through checkpoints and road blocks with a pistol on my lap. The pistol usually helped in my case at the time. I would add carry extra ammo, too. And show it, too.
            And as to relatives and other people needing my help, I will usually help them, as best I can. Priority goes to relatives.
            Just what will you do in your case, if this even happens to you?

No comments: