Translate

Monday, August 19, 2013

The friction between eras


The friction at the end of an era

       The era, at least in my mind, is the Progressive Era. I have also heard the term Liberal Era, and even other terms like the Hippy Era. This era is about a century old in the new world USA. In my mind it was mostly the twentieth century.

            And I am confident the intents usually were quite good. There were many situations in our culture that needed improvement. The Battle of Blair Mountain provides such an example, among the many good examples.  Even all the wars the USA  fought provides other examples.

            Now there is a simple expression I have heard in the military that says: "reinforce success, not failure".  That idea seems to help me these days.

            It wasn't many too decades ago when our improvements to our culture, often through our laws and regulations,  were to benefit our majority and our Country.  I think of that as reinforcing success. Just look at all the benefits our constitutional republic has provided ourselves, and our world. For example, I enjoy clean water coming out of the tap, and I am a common citizen.

            Now it seems like we seem to focus our laws and regulations on the minority, and expect, and often demand, that the majority simply accept and simply go along. Obvious examples are Obamacare,  but add in smaller subjects like overt homosexuals in the military, or taking showers with transgenders, even going to the bathroom with them. All these situations are mostly about the majority accepting the minority, and often paying for it, too. 

            The analogy to me is the tail wagging the dog.  In this circumstance, the dog often dies. More academically speaking, it is like our elected leaders, and our culture, has morphed or evolved into to some  kind of role reversal. Maybe many of them feel compelled to pass any law, even if it often is self-defeating, all in advancing the old ideas they grew up on. I don't know, but I do think things are not right though out our wonderful USA land. Even when I still trust the system, basically.

            I prefer better for my progeny, like my kids and grandkids. It's my implied job, so to speak.

            So hence all the present friction going on.

            The good news is that the people are still in charge, one way  (like the vote), or the other (like revolt or civil war).

            So in this friction, expect a new era to evolve. And in fairness, we may have our own USA interim Dark Period, too. Now just what the new era will be named or be like I can only guess.  And as to the timing and execution and circumstances that evolve, I can only guess, too.   But the times they are a changing (ala' Bob Dylan's old song), and it has little to do with the present leaders. It's just a friction kind of time. And we, the people in the new world USA, are still in charge in our constitutional republic during this time of change.

No comments: