Translate

Tuesday, January 29, 2013


This is how important electricity is to me

       It's not that many of today's widgets do provide we humans a lot of convenience.  That's a given these days...though we can go without it if we have to. But I still like my electrical washer and dryer compared to the alternatives, which do work, too. And being able to turn on the light at night is pretty nice, too.

            I recently read a post from an American gal who had spent 10 days in Bangladesh as part of her work. She was pretty complementary about Bangladesh, but also reported her accommodations she had to make. One included being tuned to the scheduled rolling electrical brownouts. While there is a public law there prohibiting using electricity for cooking, millions of humans ignored it. More interesting to me was her report about how people timed their recharging of batteries with the "good" times for public electricity.

            Now even for me, I too depend on public electricity, but also have my own water powered electrical plant, too. I think I can defend it, too. Plus I have a solar powered backup to that.

            That says how important electricity is to me. As Jack Webb once said in the old TV show Dragnet, "just the facts, ma'am".

            Now my standards may have to change, but what the heck. I am an old Marine and used to adversity. But I do wonder how well my relatives in the new world USA may adjust, if they have to?

            This is how important electricity is to me.

            Even I have my own imagination, and questions. I suspect you do to.

No comments: