Translate

Tuesday, January 01, 2013


Fibonacci numbers
       For those interested, here is a wiki link on the subject:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number
            What I find amazing is the apparent links to other mathematics, nature, popular culture, and many other things. Apparently there's something going on that we humans still do not quite understand. I call it some kind of underlying order to things we still do not quite understand. And I am not very religious.
            Recently during the Holidays I heard about a smart young man who had just tried substituting multiplication for adding (using the Fibonacci idea), and getting a new sequence of numbers. Even in my time in advanced mathematics I met similar young people who would invent a new language to solve a problem. In my case I admired such people who had the smarts and confidence to go down this path. Good on 'em I would say these days.
            Now in his case, then one usually tries to see if this sequence has any apparent links. I figure we have had centuries to develop all this for the basic Fibonacci sequence, so should we have centuries to see if this new sequence has other links of interest to we humans. And I suspect others have already thought of this, and the process is probably already underway.
            And this is not a subject and process limited to those in fancy education centers. Even Einstein was a lowly patents clerk when he came upon this world in recognition. In other words, education sure helps, but innate intelligence and free thinking also helps, too. Like a lot.

No comments: