Translate

Sunday, August 07, 2011

I do not want to be a serf

I enjoy my public electricity, and my internet stuff, and going to the grocery store for my food. Our local governments and fellow Americans do a good job at providing these services. So I guess that makes me weird these days since I know it does not happen by itself. I even like being warm in the winter, and even I wear long johns inside my house to boot. Of course I do try to keep the temperature for the pipes above freezing, just to keep them from bursting if they freeze. I use a combination of wood stoves (and I cut and stack fallen wood), and public electricity. That makes me living like a deployed soldier and Marine, like many Americans do. Yet I am living in east Tennessee. Like I said I don't want to be a serf.

Now what does it take these days to be an environmentalist? Mostly my observation is just to hang out a sign saying that is what I am and care about. Even lawyers get involved, and hire lobbyists to boot on their noble effort. How all this gets financed is still beyond me. But land owners like me also believe I can be a good steward of the land, without any coercion, to boot. Not that I am idealistic, mostly it just makes me happy if I do good for myself and the land, and make some money to boot to help pay my energy bills and my taxes for the foreseeable 50 year future. Like I said, I just want to be a good steward of the land I live on, about a square mile by the way.

So what is going to happen to people like me. Right now I do not know. I have already worse cased things, and am pretty sure I can survive, kinda like a serf.

But I choose not to be a serf.

There are better courses of action.

No comments: