Translate

Thursday, March 11, 2010

If only they had listened to me

Can we still vote?

Our USA Constitution reflects, I think, our ancestor’s recognition of our humanity, which is not all good.

And there are other alternatives. Many reflect paying attention to the “people” as they are today. For example, I admire the Chinese Communist leadership trying to change the representation to say the obvious in their country…over ¾ of their present population is very rural, and they will be ruled, one way or the other. In this is much friction which we should worry about. The leaders there do, also. To use a Gandhi line modified, if the ¾ rural don’t want to be ruled by the ¼ urban, then they won’t.

And the beauty of the “American” way of culture is that we made it, all of us, together. And like it or not, there are many influencers, European and British mostly, but also African from the slave trade, Asian from that slave trade, and now more than ever, Latino from that source. We even had an Italian slave trade into the South in the last century I think…and now I get some good recipes. Plus we exploited our resources for our own benefits.

My key thought is my ability to vote, which is so “American”. If other humans try to take that vote and idea away, then things will change in a bad sort of way.

In other words, the present friction is OK, as long as I can still vote.

No comments: