Translate

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The ends do not justify the means

There are variations to this human foible.

One goes along the line of the “tyranny of the minority”. In this variation one can think the 1776 revolutionists were the minority, and obviously had their way in making our USA we have today.

In other more modern variations in the USA there are examples of those who think they know best and usurp our votes in practicing political control. The era during the President Wilson times comes to mind, as does the present times. Now I don’t know what exactly went on during the Wilson times, though I do read about it. Now I do think I know about what is going on these days, because I am living it.

Alas, I decided months ago to try learn about what the English Parliament was thinking and doing during the time of our American Revolution, as well as what the executive, aka King George, was thinking. My ideal was to see how other humans in their times made their decisions given all their derisive times.

So far, I think that we Americans are still in charge of our destiny, good, bad, or indifferent. And we should be able to vote this way, as good or bad as the process is. Mostly, this means, the majority of citizens who vote should rule thru our elected politicians. Is that simple enough?

I think this is what America is pretty much about. Letting the people vote and rule, as good, bad, or indifferent as others may think about what they think is the way to go.

Simply said, the ends do not justify the means.

Now what is a shame is what seems to be what we are doing to our descendents, like our children and their children. In this is the potential for revolt. Just what would you do if expected to work for 6 months a year just to pay for your ancestors federal bills, long done and dead in their time. After all, our children have their problems to work through in their lifetime, too.

Alas, things may be descending these days. If our votes count, then most can live with the results. If votes don’t count, as if voters are ignored, then I expect things will change. If the executive ignores the legislative or judicial branches, or both ignore the voters, for example, then things will change.

Golly, I hope it doesn’t get to this point. After all, we are all Americans in the end, I hope.

No comments: