Translate

Friday, March 26, 2010

The era of good intentions is over

Now this era has lasted for decades.

Fiscal accountability in promoting our American future will grow in influence.

After all, our size in number of people alone has grown, so why should not other things, like our elected public governments, at all levels, by the way.

The catch seems to be ideas like a tipping point in political terms, or a paradigm shift in academic terms, or just an old fashioned term like the straw that broke the camel’s back.

When all the good intentions start dragging down old granny, or me, or my kids, or my grandkids, then I am now motivated to vote and work for my cause.

The key point, to me, is I also count, and have worked for it. The obvious question is: should I keep working for it?

There are other alternatives that I prefer. I just wish I heard more about basics, like police and fire protection, or on demand electricity to keep things going where I live. Now all these things cost money, and I just wish to hear about more than pie in the sky talk by ill educated people.

Most of us have been through high school, and know about cliques and other such high school foibles.

My question to all is this the way we want to go as a country?

Now I can talk to I am blue in the face, so in the end none of this matters, kinda. What bothers me is that normal humans that loan us money will not loan us money in the next decade’s future, and then we will have to change to live within our means, which are very considerable, by the way.

Now there are also old time ideas that influence my thoughts. Back in WWII we actually had to have war bond drives to get enough fellow Americans to provide enough money to fight for their benefit. Now my thoughts today are they had their own problems, and to make “loans” (buying war bonds) took some sacrifice. Now it probably did not involve sacrificing “granny”, but there was a balance to it all.

In the end, there were no foreigners then loaning us money to prosecute a war in our behalf. Things were different then, and I think things are different now. Even the threat of inflation is scary to those who know about it, or have lived through it.

Like the title said, the era of good intentions is over. Nobody in their right mind would try buy a house with an 18% loan for example. This comes from Louisville, Ky, for example in the 1970’s. I preferred to rent at the time of decision. That was a better deal for me. And I was married with kids, so I was so influenced.

There is good news, a lot. We Americans are hard workers and do OK.

I suspect after much hard times now perhaps started by our present elected politicians that many fellow Americans and others in the world may die before their time. What a shame. What worries me more, yes I can have emotions and worry too, is that there were other courses of action that might have worked better, like much better.

Like the title said, the era of good intentions is over.

The sad part is that it is not all America’s choice anymore . The next couple of decades are going to be tough on future Americans. I suspect there will be much political bitterness. The good news is that I suspect our progeny will sort it out to their advantage. I just hope it doesn’t take a revolution, which I think our present political leaders may be setting up.

Good intentions are one thing, thinking about our present and future families is another.

The era of good intentions is over, I hope.

No comments: