Translate

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Charity versus governments in helping our poor

My perspective is from where I live, on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee.

First my old time report. I no longer prefer to contribute to the United Way or any of its subsidiaries, like the Combined Federal Campaign.

I prefer to do charity and contributions the old fashioned way, like contribute locally. Mostly it is just needy people I hear about. And, unfortunately, I have had to differentiate between deadbeats and needy kids. Such is life up here. And of course it is always who I hear about. Christmas a year ago I gave presents to five young kids whose local teachers suggested them. That is what I am talking about.

Now recently I also hear about an older gal (like 35) that got a $30,000 disability check from social security. Now four weeks later after her payment I also hear she has already spent $15,000 of it on drugs. Who knows what to believe, but for sure I think I might want to help her more “locally”, as in even doing some tough love.

So how do we try help our poor who are poor through no fault of their own? Just for the record, I don’t buy that argument. Kids are pretty smart, and do the best with what they have. Now in the same vein, one also has to buy the idea of being taught, as in brushing one’s teeth, or cooking a safe meal, or cutting safely with a chain saw. I don’t think any of us are born knowing how to do these so basic things, and so many others, too. For me, my mother’s mother had to teach me how to cook, for example.

So back to helping our poor. There is a difference between truly poor and truly deadbeats, even when addicted. And locally the best way to sort it out goes to charity, vice our governments. For example, how do we handle a druggy gal 5 months pregnant?

I suggest local charity has a better way. At least that is my experience on the Cumberland Plateau.

No comments: