Translate

Saturday, April 27, 2013


Vengeance versus "heart and minds" as policies

       Well, I have a heart and mind, too; and I live in rural America today, though I consider my upbringing more urban and cosmopolitan.

            The hearts and minds theory is now decades old, and still popular. It is more new world in my mind.

            The vengeance idea is even older. It is more old world, again, in my mind.

            As an American news junkie, I have kept up with it all. As a retired Marine, I still remember how I might be a part of applying either, or both, policies.  I still read much the same is going on in the new world here in America.

            What I wonder today is how it might sort out for our future. I have gotten to point where the rule of law is a big deal to me.  Tamping down anarchy is a basic function of any government, of all stripes, and this often implies vengeance, or ruthlessness, or some other variation of all this.

            There are plenty of bad people all around the world. They are just a percentage of our population. I don't want them in charge, or even running around, kind of like the lunatics are charge of the asylum. It this makes me a rule of law type person, so be it.

            In the same vein, the "hearts and minds" argument also appeals to me, up to a point. When those that buy that argument are willing to let the bad guys assert themselves, then I have a problem.

            Hence, why can't society have it both ways?

            Listen to the grievances, maybe even agree with some, depending on your experience and exposure.  After all living in, let's say the Midwest in the USA, is not the same as living in the Caucasus area in Russia.

            But, also, don't let the inmates take over, too.

            Now all I want to do is be safe, and for my family to be safe, which mostly means police protection. That is a traditional reason for a government, the taxes or tributes we pay, and the leaders we elect, one way or the other.

            If they can't, or don't want to sort it out and balance things, then it is time to change them, that is, our leaders.

No comments: