Translate

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Friction in America

We don’t all agree, nor even think alike. What’s new?

Recently I was reminded.

I read a humorous article about fatherhood ( http://wwwwakeupamericans-spree.blogspot.com/2007/01/ummmmmmm-i-guess-this-in-one-way.html ) that I forwarded to relatives. The article included a title section that I simply passed by on the way to the article, which I enjoyed, by the way.

Well I got a response from one relative that got my attention. His response ignored the fatherhood article, and focused on the title section. Here are both quotes for your perusal. The first is from the title, and second is from my relative:

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains....... Winston Churchill, Sir (1874-1965)

Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.

Sir Winston Churchill

You go figure his intent. All I wanted to do was share a funny story. I am still not sure what he wanted to do. But for sure, there is friction.

So then I later asked him about his point. This is what he said.

The point of my little quote is that I'm an informed media literate and I'm really not enjoying the further adventures of a lame duck and his cronies' eternal quest for power and wealth at the expense of multilateral support, resources, reputation, and worst of all, so many youthful lives and limbs that might have been spent on neutralizing Bin Laden and other bonafide threats et al. Stay the course - what a waste. We already learned that lesson more than thirty years ago. He can just go surge right on in with Barb and Jenna taking the point sans flak jackets. I'm just sorry they didn't make a rope swing out of shrub 43 also. It will be interesting to see what the fallout is from the oversight hearings, if only for history's sake. The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them. Nuff said.

I realized right off I got a freebie. Someone as passionite as myself, albeit less restrained, gave me another point of view.

He followed up. I being the old guy, and he is the young guy, there was the normal talk. But there is still friction. And he is my relative, and I still like him, too.

By the way, somebody has to be the "old guy" or the "old gal". What a privelege.

No comments: