Translate

Monday, January 15, 2007

Don’t ya know?

I had an Uncle who used to say this idiom all the time. He was the Bursar at Vanderbilt University.

Now no one says this. The closest I can find is in “black talk” when people say “you know”.

Most of the responses to today’s “thank you” are “thank you”. Where I presently live in rural Tennessee the response is “you’re welcome”.

Playing Scrabble can be tough when the challenge dictionary is one from 1928. The astute player can challenge a present day word hoping it was not a word in 1928. While winning in my challenge, my mother’s threat to disinherit me got my attention.

Using another similarly aged trivia reference book was interesting. The question about the number of planets in the book’s time was answered with “eight”, as Pluto had not been discovered. Now in 2007 that is the correct answer again. Interesting.

If language and the number of planets can change, what else can change?

No comments: