Translate

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Another eating story


Another eating story

 

A while back I made some American Indian pone kind of like in the old movie Jeremiah Johnson.  He did not like it in the movie.  His new American Indian wife did both make it and seemed to like it OK. He told his adopted kid it was good for him, and then ate beef jerky as his meal.

I laughed at the scene in the movie. I was on the way to rescue Americans in Asia while on a USN ship. Nothing like being in the South China being homesick for America.

While my reaction to the pone I made these days was that it needed some flavoring (fake butter in my case), it was food and I did cook it on my own. Basically it was flour and water cooked with some heat, on a rock in the movie. In my experiment, I cooked it on a cast iron griddle on an electric stove.

Today I received another 25 lbs. of wheat flour and another 25 lbs. of rye flour. I put it in a large plastic container to keep the mice away.

Notice I did not even use corn meal in this receipe. I’ve some of that, too.  Like a lot of it.

Plus the local forest where I live is full of acorns, which can make an OK flour from, too.  Again if times should get hard....  People in Korea already routinely use acorn flour.

So I suspect we Americans can survive OK eating some kind of flour mixed with clean water.....if we need to.  Some flavoring will help, too.

After all, our ancestors were pretty tough, but I suspect most Americans today are pretty tough, too.....if they need to be.

No comments: