Translate

Monday, March 30, 2015

Yaki Mandu recipes and ideas



Yaki Mandu recipes and ideas

I believe yaki mandu is considered by many to be a kind of Korean egg-roll.  Now to me it is pretty tasty, too.

So here are some recipes and ideas:




So why not make some kind of American version, since I have already lived in Korea and know I can eat this kind of good food. In my case I usually ate it and washed it down with the local Korean Beer, too.  Oh yes, I would usually dip it in some kind of soy sauce boosted up with horseradish, too. For example, substitute ground deer and call it “yaki mandu (Tennessee style)” for example. Or use ground rabbit meat, and call it “yaki mandu (rabbit style)”.

Basically, it is just wrapping some kind of filler with a thin bread skin from some kind of base, usually wheat flour in America these days (you can use wonton skins or quartered egg roll skins or make your own for example). So you can name it about anything you want to.

And skip the egg stuff or wheat flour if you choose, too. The Vietnamese call them “spring rolls” and the Philippinos call them “lumpia’. It is all pretty much the same. Basically there is no egg in the bread wrap in these national cases.

Now as to cooking, I prefer it fried, but I suspect steamed would be pretty good, too.

Bottom line, there are a zillion ideas out there about how to keep yourself and your Family healthy, if you either want to or need to. One can even use a Polish idea and make pierogis, for example. The idea is not Asian in my mind, and so we can make it American if we choose to do so.

No comments: