Translate

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

How to Grind Food



How to Grind Food

Here’s some links on the subject:
There are many other links on this subject, too.

Now I have a water wheel and the spring water to run it. I’m waiting for warmer times to install it.
What I don’t have is the expertise to run a water wheel powered grinder. I never got any Marine training in this subject.
For examples:
1)      Dry grinding is different from wet grinding.
2)      To make flour for breads one may have to do two runs, one to crack corn down like for chicken food, and the second run for turning that into corn flour.
Now my initial plan is to try help the process along. Here’s some ideas:
1)      Set up a schedule for grinding grains, like once or twice a month. People can store ground grain, so maybe have some extra buckets or zip bags for storing the output.
2)      Barter for grain services, like make sure the people with the grains don’t wreck what I have often due to ignorance, and also provide me something I need, like firewood for heat and cooking.
3)      Decide what schedule and how to advertise it, like maybe through local churches, for example.
Last, I already make some electricity using my spring water. So with a thoughtful design, the same water can be used for:
1)      The regular use of clean water like for health and cooking and cleaning and the toilets. That might take 8% of the water, depending on the season.
2)      Then use the same water further down the hill to use for grinding, and even for nostalgia reasons.
3)      The use the same water again, and even further down to make electricity.
4)      After that, gravity will already carry the water even further downstream to others.
I can imagine everyone has a different situation, too. So in all cases, some improvisation and ingenuity will probably help a lot, also. For example one can use a bicycle to power a grain mill vice using a water wheel.

No comments: